Russell Domingo says his team remain united behind captain Faf du Plessis as the skipper was found guilty of ball tampering by the ICC
It hasn't been an ideal preparation: SA coach
South Africa coach Russell Domingo has acknowledged that the furore over his captain Faf du Plessis's ball tampering guilty verdict and the subsequent media scrutiny means their preparation for the final Test against Australia in Adelaide has been far from ideal.
Quick Single: Proteas to appeal Faf's guilty verdict
No sooner had the Proteas hit the training track on Tuesday afternoon ahead of their first encounter with day-night Test cricket – which arrives at the Adelaide Oval on Thursday afternoon – than du Plessis left the group for his hearing before ICC match referee Andy Pycroft.
The Proteas captain has been charged under the ICC's Code of Conduct with altering the condition of the ball through the application of an artificial substance – in this case, sugar-laden saliva gained by sucking on a sweet and then rubbing spit into the ball.
But since the South Africa players came out in massed support of their skipper in Melbourne last weekend the team has been involved in several run-ins with Australian media, most recently (and graphically) at the Adelaide airport upon arrival in the city yesterday.
Domingo fronted a media conference at Adelaide Oval on Tuesday and claimed that while the incidents of past week were less than a textbook lead-in to a Test match (albeit one with the series already decided) his group was remaining strong and unified.
And remained staunchly behind their captain, regardless of the guilty verdict, fine of 100 per cent of his Hobart match fee, and subsequent planned appeal.
"It's been an interesting few days, we've had a wonderful tour here, we've played great cricket, we've had long discussions and our focus now is purely on cricket," Domingo said Tuesday.
"It hasn't been an ideal preparation, there's no doubt about it, I would be lying if I said it has been spectacular preparation.
"(But) I am comfortable with the way we've gone about it, we are a unified team, we stand by our captain, and we stand by the decisions we've made.
"They might not have always come across as ideal, but in that particular time and space we thought they were the right things to do."
With South Africa set to appeal the guilty verdict, a hearing before a judicial commissioner could conceivably be held before Thursday's third Test gets underway. Du Plessis runs the risk of having his sanction increased to a one-Test ban if the appeal is unsuccessful.
Domingo said the team had not discussed who might lead them in their first day-night Test appearance should du Plessis be ruled unavailable, and even though former Test captain Hashim Amla is in the squad that decision would be made by the national selection panel if required.
He dismissed suggestions his team felt victimised or singled out over the sweets incident, and noted that they had been subjected to criticism and the spotlight in the recent past and emerged without scarring.
Most recently on unsuccessful Test tours to Bangladesh and India when they entered a nine-match streak through which they remained winless.
"We've been to India and we've been under the pump, but the team's dignity was upheld at all times," Domingo said.
"The team conducted itself in a professional manner and there's always been a tightly knit unit, hopefully these incidents do galvanise the team a bit more.
"After this Test match we will be able to answer that.
"There's definitely a feeling of togetherness and unity within the group and a lot of support for the current captain."
Whether du Plessis' appeal is held before the Adelaide Test or not, the distraction of the past week could impact on his ability to focus on the job immediately at hand.
But Domingo indicated that while the scrutiny heaped upon his captain had been intense, the 32-year-old was capable of dealing with it and not allowing it to have a deleterious effect on his performance.
Or that of the team, which is eyeing the first-ever three-match whitewash of an Australian team on their home soil.
"He's a tough man Faf, it's never pleasant when everybody has got an opinion on you and people judge you before a ruling has been made or decisions have been made," Domingo said
"But I suppose that's the nature of the world at the moment, everybody has got an opinion and can air that opinion and you are constantly seeing yourself in newspapers and things written about you.
"I suppose it does wear you down at times, but he's a tough man and a resilient man and the team has supported him and surrounded him and tried to lessen the load on him personally."
International cricket is more affordable than ever this summer, with adult tickets from $30, kids from $10 and family packages from $65 across every day of international cricket. Price for purchase at match. Transaction fee from $6.95 applies to online and other purchases. For more information and to purchase tickets, click here.