InMobi

Carberry aims for Scorchers hat-trick

Scorchers can win a third Big Bash title in a row, England import believes

Former England Test batsman Michael Carberry has set his sights on leading the Perth Scorchers to a third straight KFC Big Bash League title, saying the team shouldn't be scared to talk up their chances of creating history.

Carberry played a key role for the Scorchers in last season's title success, scoring 266 runs at an average of 44.33.

BBL|05 preview: Perth Scorchers

The 35-year-old has been lured back to Perth for another campaign, and he's keen to help the team become the first franchise to win a hat-trick of BBL titles.

Watch: The curious case of Sammy Seagull

"I think it should drive everybody. I'm certainly driven by it," Carberry said on Tuesday.

"I'm not scared to talk about it. It's a wonderful opportunity that not many teams have - to make some history.

"I certainly want to try to take it on and see how we go."

Quick single: Patience the key with spin pair: Hogg

The Scorchers will be bolstered by the inclusion of Test squad members Adam Voges, Shaun Marsh, and Nathan Coulter-Nile for their BBL opener against the Adelaide Strikers in Perth on Monday.

Watch: Who's the biggest hitter in the BBL? 

All-rounder Mitch Marsh, who experienced soreness in the recent Test win over the West Indies, is also a chance to play.

But with the quartet set to return to Test duties after that, the Scorchers will have to dig deep into their reserves.

Quick single: Hazlewood soars, Smith slips in rankings

Carberry will be heavily relied upon to give the Scorchers a solid platform to work with at the top of the order.

The left-hander hasn't played a competitive match since September, but is confident some long workouts in the nets will leave him in good shape for the start of the tournament.

Watch: How to react to a dropped catch

Scorchers coach Justin Langer revealed the player group overwhelmingly voted for Carberry to be lured back this summer.

"It's the highest compliment you can have as a cricketer," Carberry said.

"I formed a wonderful relationship with all of them last year. We really bonded as a squad.

"It's a hard-working set-up, but there is that brotherhood to it as well. For me, it was the easiest question I've ever been asked as to whether I wanted to come back."

The Scorchers have also signed star England all-rounder David Willey to further bolster their bowling and batting stocks.

And with star left-arm quick Jason Behrendorff (back) declared fit for the tournament, the Scorchers fancy their chances of going all the way.

Cricket Australia Live App

Your No.1 destination for live cricket scores, match coverage, breaking news, video highlights and in‑depth feature stories.